Role of the CSMTA
- Established in 1987
- The only certifying body in Canada for Sport Massage
- A not-for-profit organization
- Provides leadership and education in the specialty of Sport Massage
- Establishes professional standards
- Serves the Canadian athletic community at all levels
- Educates about the importance of sport massage therapy.
- Aims to serve all levels; from grass roots community athletics to Provincial, National and International.
"Our focus continues to prepare therapists to work with Canada’s elite athletes in conjunction with the requirements set by the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) which maintains Certified Sport Massage Therapists through the CSMTA recognition as an Expert group. This allows representation on Health Care Teams selected for Major Games and Events".
To meet minimum Qualification Standards upheld by the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC), a certification program was implemented; the CSMTA Education Program
"The CSMTA enhances the health care needs of Canadian athletes from grassroots to the professional level. This is accomplished by members working through the CSMTA Education Program and by applying effective sport massage techniques during all phases of their training, performance and competition. The CSMTA promotes a professional climate for the growth of sport massage therapy in Canada through education, research and practice."
"Keeping athletes in trusted hands"
- An organization National in scope.
- Facilitates mentorship, education, and certification.
- Leadership in delivery of service.
- Provides resources in research.
For Allied Healthcare Professionals
- Share knowledge and information in the sports medicine field.
- Provide leadership and excellence in standard of education for massage therapists.
- Leaders in pre, post and inter-event massage therapy.
For Sports Associations & Athletes
- Provide excellence in care
- Supports training, performance and rehab through manual treatment
- Leaders in pre, post and inter-event massage.
Benefits of joining the CSMTA
- Opportunities to work at high levels of sport.
- Notification of relevant upcoming practical courses around the country.
- Invitation to the annual Provincial and National Conferences.
- Take our signature course; Advanced Sport Massage Therapy.
- Notification of Chapter Symposiums or Special Events.
- Access to recommended reading resources and programs, relevant to a sport massage therapy career.
- Exposure to other sport healthcare professionals such as: sport massage therapists, athletic therapists, sport physiotherapists, sport chiropractors and sport medicine doctors.
- Notification of event opportunities to work and learn alongside other sport healthcare professionals.
- Access to members only social media for real time Q & A's and support.
- Get partnered with a current certified Sport Massage Therapist (mentor).
- Your mentor guides you through the certification process
- Improve and add to your knowledge and skill set.
- Learn in a supportive environment.
- Opportunity to be selected for the core medical team for major games such as the Olympics & Paralympics, Major International Games and other Championships in Canada and abroad.
- Opportunity to obtain the nationally recognized designation of Certified Sport Massage Therapist – SMT(C)
- Volunteer with Chapter or National levels as a committee member, Chair or Executive.
- Take part in the shaping and growth of the CSMTA by attending AGM’s.
- Help drive the CSMTA forward and increase our reach by promoting awareness of our vision and mission.
- Volunteer at sport events to ensure proper care of athletes.
- Promote the validity, knowledge and need for Sport Massage Therapist within the sporting community.
- Advocate for the Sport Massage Therapists’ rightful position alongside other sport specialized healthcare professionals.
Please check out our information booklet below for more details.
CSMTA Information Booklet.pdf