The application of specific and treatment oriented massage techniques to an athlete with the purpose of enhancing the athlete’s preparation for, or recovery from the physical demands of training or competition.
Sport massage is applied through specific pre-event, inter-event, post-event and restoration/training massage techniques used primarily on-site at an event or at the host or team health care clinic. Local teams, clubs and individual athletes can benefit from sport massage therapy delivered by members of the CSMTA.
How Can We Help You?
Our sport massage therapists are professionally trained to treat active individuals of sport from grass roots, to Olympics to professional levels of competition.
We specialize in specific techniques for pre-event, inter event, post event and restorative / training massage.
Pre-Event Sport Massage
We Get You Game Ready!
- Within 1 hour of event
- Usually best when started 20-30 minutes before competition but this is dependent on the individual and available time
- Must be completed in enough time to allow for the athlete to properly prepare for their event so they don’t have to rush
- Duration usually 5-20 minutes
- Encourage general relaxation or readiness
- Reduce anxiety/competition stress
- Increase feelings of well being
- Increase alertness and mental clarity
- Boost confidence (“Inside Edge”)
- Used for mental preparation (rehearsal, visualization, focus)
Inter-Event Sport Massage
Cool Down from a Previous Athletic Performance and Prepare for the Next One
- In between events of the on the same day
- Duration is 2-15 minutes in duration
- Keeps muscles warm
- Assists in reducing Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)
- Maintains muscle and joint flexibility
Post-Event Sport Massage
We help you Relax and Recuperate.
- Post event competition as part of the athletes cool down
- Reduces inflammatory markers that minimizes Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)
- Reduces recuperative time period post competition
- Helps in identifying any new or prospective injury sites
Restorative /Training Massage
We help you to train at a high level
- Regular SMT clinical setting
- Preferably on a rest day
- Allow you to recover from everyday training load
- Assess and treat a minor injury before it becomes worse
- Help you reduce the risk of injury
- Fine tune treatments with specific techniques with trigger points and areas of stress
- Relieve tender areas before they become a problem
Click here to find a Sport Massage Therapist.